Thursday, February 22, 2007

Decimal syntax and operator overloading

As mentioned previously, I'm keen for Java to provide nice syntax for BigDecimal types. Someone asked me whether I was trying to sneak full operator overloading into Java through the back door. It's a reasonable concern.

Much as I like some other features of C++, I was very comfortable that Java omitted general operator overloading. So I am definitely not suggesting that BigDecimal syntax be introduced along with general operator overloading.

Of course, if these syntax improvements go ahead, Sun are free to add them via a limited form of operator overloading mechanism, but that's an implementation choice from my perspective and certainly not part of the requirement.

No comments:

Projects

OSGi (130) Virgo (59) Eclipse (10) Equinox (9) dm Server (8) Felix (4) WebSphere (3) Aries (2) GlassFish (2) JBoss (1) Newton (1) WebLogic (1)

Blog Archive